Family Design Days @ BSA SPACE encourage children and adults to observe, explore and design together. In these two hour, hands-on workshops, families are introduced to architecture and design of Boston and the world through exhibit tours, neighborhood walking tours or slide shows, and then complete a hands-on design activity. Architects and Designers lead these programs.
Saturdays 10:30 – 12:30 @ BSA SPACE, 290 Congress St., Boston*
Winter/Spring Family Design Day Schedule:
- January 23: Getting Around in a Galaxy Far Far Away. This month, Family Design Days will fly into the Star Wars galaxy to think about what inter-galactic transportation designers need to consider. Participants will build their designs using recycled materials.
- *February 13: Design Your Dream Room at the Concord Museum, Concord MA. Families will explore the exhibit Middlesex County Modern to learn about the features and principles of Modern architecture and then design their own dream room using recycled materials. Registration for this program is HERE.
- February 27: Skyscraper Challenge. Learn more about the architecture, science, and art behind what keeps the world’s tallest buildings standing and then, using a kit of parts, design and build your own skyscraper. *A session for age 10-14 will occur from 1:00pm – 3:00 pm.
- March 19: Dream Dwellings. Taking inspiration from the exhibition Global Citizen: The Architecture of Moshe Safdie participants will transform a basic shoe box into a dream apartment with unique green space that reflects the goals of Habitat ’67.
- April 9 & 10: KidsBuild! Registration will open in early March.
- *Friday April 22: Cambridge Science Festival. Imagine Boston with LEGO Bricks.
- May 21: Animal Habitats. Explore the wonders of animal architecture, and design your own structure for a special creature.
- June 18: Extraordinary Playscapes. Explore the way playground design can improve the quality of life for children and families through a tour of the exhibition Extraordinary Playscapes and then design and build the perfect playscape for your neighborhood.
Click here For More Information and Event Registrations
Please see our Volunteer Form to volunteer for any of these events.
Family Day Programs are designed for children ages five – 13, accompanied by an adult (a maximum ratio of three children per one adult is required). Tickets are $8/$10 per person (unless otherwise notes), children and adults. Program begins promptly at start time. Registration is strongly recommended. Family Design Days are a program of the BSA Foundation.